Congress slams ruling BJP for Himachal land deals
Shimla: The opposition Congress in Himachal Pradesh has charged the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) with disproportionate allocation of land to universities and vowed to review this if it comes to power in the next elections in 2012.
"If the Congress comes to power in the next Assembly Elections, it will review the actual requirement of each university and ensure that extra land acquired will be returned to the government," state Congress chief Kaul Singh Thakur said here on Sunday.
He alleged that top political functionaries were involved in illegal property transactions and the BJP government had allowed 11 universities to set up campuses since it came to power in 2007.
Kaul Singh said that his party would corner the government on public issues like law and order, illegal land transactions and shielding tainted officials, during the monsoon session of the assembly from August 23.
He also slammed the government for granting permission to Bemloe Development and Infrastructure Company for developing ultra-luxurious housing projects in Shimla. In the budget session, the opposition had stalled assembly proceedings on the issue.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal reaffirmed on Sunday that the government was indeed bringing in new legislation, the Himachal Pradesh Confiscation of Ill-Gotten Assets Bill, in the forthcoming assembly session to confiscate property illegally acquired by public servants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning