Court extends JC of Karmapa aide & 6 others in currency haul case
Shimla/Una: A court in Una on Thursday extended
the judicial custody of seven persons, including the Tibetan
spiritual leader Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje`s aide Rubgi
Chosang, in connection with huge foreign currency haul.
The judicial custody of all the seven people arrested in
connection with the foreign currency seizure was extended by
Chief Judicial Magistrate, Una, Rajesh Tomar, SP, Una, Santosh
The arrests were made following seizure of Rs 1 crore from
a car at Mehatpur border on January 25 last and two occupants
of the car, Sanjay Dutt and Ashutosh (driver) were arrested.
Subsequently, the police also arrested Karma Thapa and his
wife Rinzin in connection with seizure of Rs 1 crore and two
more people, a Dharamsala based hotelier KP Bharadwaj and
Manager of Ambala branch of Corporation Bank, DK Dhar was
The money was reportedly meant for purchase of land by
the Karmapas trust in Kangra district, the police said.
Himachal Pradesh police quizzed the Karmapa and
Enforcement Directorate and his office all along maintained
that the money recovered was donation from his followers
across the world and there was nothing illegal about the
The police and ED were still investigating the source of
the money and the channels through which it reached the
The government was also investigating the benami land
deals by Tibetans and the government had already transferred
the title of the land, on which sprawling Gyuto monastery was
located, in the name of the government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India