Court orders status quo on Ramdev`s land in HP
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Wednesday directed the state government to maintain status quo on yoga guru Baba Ramdev`s land, which the state took back due to irregularities in its allotment by the previous BJP regime.
The high court order comes less than a week after the state govenment took possession of the prime land in Solan district as it found the former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in 2010 violated statutory provisions in allotting it to Baba Ramdev.
Baba Ramdev`s Patanjali Yogpeeth Trust has constructed an ayurveda hospital-cum-yoga `shivir` hall on the land.
Taking up the petition of Patanjali Yogpeeth, a division bench of Justice Deepak Gupta and Justice Kuldip Singh restrained the government from demolishing the construction, which has already been raised, or changing the nature or possession of the land until the case is disposed of.
The court directed the government to file a reply within four weeks and listed the matter for next hearing April 24.
The government Feb 22 took back the possession of the 96.5 bighas of land near Sadhupul.
Patanjali Yogpeeth moved the high court Feb 25, alleging that the state`s decision to take back the possession of land was illegal, arbitrary and in violation of natural justice.
The petitioner said the lease deed was validly given to the trust and that it spent about Rs 11 crore for land development.
The land originally belonged to the erstwhile royal family of Patiala, to which Congress leader and former Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh belongs.
The Congress government in Himachal said the land, valued around Rs.35-40 crore, was allotted to the yoga guru for a one-time lease payment of Rs.17 lakh for 99 years at a token annual fee of Re.1.
The land is located mid-way between Kandaghat town and the hill resort of Chail, 50 km from here.
Revenue Minister Kaul Singh Thakur said the government found a number of discrepancies in the allotment of land.
The land could not have been given on lease to Ramdev`s trust, which is a commercial organisation. Also, the lease was signed in the name of Acharya Balkrishan, who is allegedly of Nepali origin and facing a Central Bureau of Investigation probe.
The original power of attorney for executing the deed was with Balkrishan, who further authorised another individual to sign the deed, which was illegal, Thakur said.
The land, donated by Amarinder Singh`s family to the Himachal Pradesh government in 1956, was meant only for setting up the Indira Holiday Home for Children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception