Currency row: Karmapa office assures cooperation
Dharamsala: Two days after police included the name of Tibetan religious head and 17th Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje in a chargesheet on the seizure this year of huge unaccounted foreign currency from the monastery where he is residing, his office here on Friday assured the investigating agencies of full cooperation.
"The Karmapa office of administration has provided the authorities with complete details and documents pertaining to the case. We will offer our full cooperation and assistance in future too," Karmapa`s spokesperson Karma Chungyalpa told a news agency.
He said "at no point of time the Karmapa was ever called or examined by the investigating agency. His Holiness has no involvement, direct or indirect, in the financial administration of the office or trust".
The Himachal Pradesh Police Wednesday included the Karmapa`s name in a chargesheet filed by it in a court in Una town on the seizure of foreign currency worth Rs 70 million (over USD 1 million) from the Karmapa`s Gyuto Tantric University and Monastery on the outskirts of this town, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
Investigating officer RR Thakur told a news agency that the Karmapa has been charged under Section 120 (B) of the Indian Penal Code, a charge related to conspiracy, over seizure of unaccounted money from the monastery.
He is the 10th accused named in the chargesheet, filed before Una Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajesh Tomar.
"Since the Karmapa was heading the Karmae Garchen Trust (of the monastery), all financial transactions being carried out by the trust were in his knowledge," Thakur added.
The Karmapa`s office has been saying that all the money seized from the monastery was from donations from followers the world over, including scores who come from Tibet and carry Chinese currency.
Meanwhile, state police have again decided to seek permission from the central government for registering a case against the accused under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA).
"We will soon move a request to the central government to allow us to register a case against the monastery functionaries, including the Karmapa, under FCRA as a huge amount of foreign currency was seized from it," Additional Director-General of Police (Law and Order) SR Mardi said in Shimla.
The 26-year-old Karmapa is the spiritual head of the Karma Kagyu school, one of the four sects of Buddhism. He joined the Dalai Lama in exile in 2000, and is widely seen as his religious successor.
Police Jan 28 recovered the currencies of 26 countries, including 120,197 Chinese yuan and around Rs 5.3 million in Indian currency, from the Karmapa`s Gyuto Tantric University and Monastery on the outskirts of Dharamsala, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
It was after the seizure of Rs 1 crore meant for land purchase that police conducted searches at the monastery and recovered the currency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow