Custody of two Tibetans extended in Himachal rape case
Dharamsala: A Himachal Pradesh court has extended the police remand of two Tibetans who have been accused of raping a 46-year-old German woman in this town last week, police said on Thursday.
Two Tibetan youths - Tsering and Tswang - were arrested from Dharamsala in Kangra district Jan 16 on charges of raping the woman for two successive days - Dec 27 and 28 - during her stay at Bagsunag near McLeodganj, the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
The local court Wednesday extended the police remand of the accused till Jan 24, assistant Superintendent of Police Omapati Jamwal told a news agency.
The victim reported to the police Jan 15 that one of the accused allegedly took her to an isolated room Dec 27 where he and his friend sexually assaulted her for two days.
Jamwal said the woman was found Jan 7 lying unconscious from some drug overdose at Bagsunag and the police admitted her to the Rajendra Prasad Medical College and Hospital at Tanda town. She lodged the complaint regarding the rape after she was discharged from the hospital.
The victim was in India for the past 10 months on a tourist visa.
"Her visa has been extended for two weeks on medical grounds," a police official said. Her visa expired Jan 16.
This was the second case of a foreigner being raped in Kangra district in six months.
In June last year, an 18-year-old British charity worker, who was on an exchange teaching programme and was staying with a few other British nationals, was raped by two cab drivers in Palampur town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days