Custody of two Tibetans extended in Himachal rape case
Dharamsala: A Himachal Pradesh court has extended the police remand of two Tibetans who have been accused of raping a 46-year-old German woman in this town last week, police said on Thursday.
Two Tibetan youths - Tsering and Tswang - were arrested from Dharamsala in Kangra district Jan 16 on charges of raping the woman for two successive days - Dec 27 and 28 - during her stay at Bagsunag near McLeodganj, the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
The local court Wednesday extended the police remand of the accused till Jan 24, assistant Superintendent of Police Omapati Jamwal told a news agency.
The victim reported to the police Jan 15 that one of the accused allegedly took her to an isolated room Dec 27 where he and his friend sexually assaulted her for two days.
Jamwal said the woman was found Jan 7 lying unconscious from some drug overdose at Bagsunag and the police admitted her to the Rajendra Prasad Medical College and Hospital at Tanda town. She lodged the complaint regarding the rape after she was discharged from the hospital.
The victim was in India for the past 10 months on a tourist visa.
"Her visa has been extended for two weeks on medical grounds," a police official said. Her visa expired Jan 16.
This was the second case of a foreigner being raped in Kangra district in six months.
In June last year, an 18-year-old British charity worker, who was on an exchange teaching programme and was staying with a few other British nationals, was raped by two cab drivers in Palampur town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?