Custody of two Tibetans extended in Himachal rape case
Dharamsala: A Himachal Pradesh court has extended the police remand of two Tibetans who have been accused of raping a 46-year-old German woman in this town last week, police said on Thursday.
Two Tibetan youths - Tsering and Tswang - were arrested from Dharamsala in Kangra district Jan 16 on charges of raping the woman for two successive days - Dec 27 and 28 - during her stay at Bagsunag near McLeodganj, the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
The local court Wednesday extended the police remand of the accused till Jan 24, assistant Superintendent of Police Omapati Jamwal told a news agency.
The victim reported to the police Jan 15 that one of the accused allegedly took her to an isolated room Dec 27 where he and his friend sexually assaulted her for two days.
Jamwal said the woman was found Jan 7 lying unconscious from some drug overdose at Bagsunag and the police admitted her to the Rajendra Prasad Medical College and Hospital at Tanda town. She lodged the complaint regarding the rape after she was discharged from the hospital.
The victim was in India for the past 10 months on a tourist visa.
"Her visa has been extended for two weeks on medical grounds," a police official said. Her visa expired Jan 16.
This was the second case of a foreigner being raped in Kangra district in six months.
In June last year, an 18-year-old British charity worker, who was on an exchange teaching programme and was staying with a few other British nationals, was raped by two cab drivers in Palampur town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet