Dalai Lama calls on India to preserve Tibetan cult
Dharamsala: Dalai Lama has called on the people of India to support the preservation of Tibetan culture and natural environment in the interest of the entire Asian continent.
"The preservation of Tibetan culture is not only concerned with 6 million Tibetans, but it is in the larger interest of Central Asia, including China," Dalai Lama said at the inauguration ceremony of the Fourth All Tibetan Support Groups Conference on Saturday.
He said rivers originating from Tibet, the roof of the world, such as Brahmaputra are lifeline for people living in many Asian countries, including India.
"So the Indians certainly have rights to raise their concerns on the preservation of Tibet`s environment," he said.
He showed concern over the destruction of natural environment, exploitation of mineral resources, and threat to wildlife animals on the Tibetan plateau.
He said India is a living example of secular ethics and non-violence, which are relevant to the whole world.
Prime Minister of Tibetan government-in-exile Dr Lobsang Sangay said, "39 Tibetans have drank petrol and set their bodies on fire. These acts have demonstrated that occupation of Tibet is unacceptable and repression is unbearable."
He said, "India is a durable and reliable friend and supporter of the Tibetan people. Over the last more than 50 years, the Indian people have stood for justice and freedom of Tibetans."
Around 150 members of the Tibetan Support Groups from different parts of India are participating in the conference.
The first All India Tibet Support Groups Conference was held in Chandigarh in 2003, followed the by second in Bodhgaya in 2006 and the third in Delhi in 2009.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know