Dalai Lama calls on India to preserve Tibetan cult
Dharamsala: Dalai Lama has called on the people of India to support the preservation of Tibetan culture and natural environment in the interest of the entire Asian continent.
"The preservation of Tibetan culture is not only concerned with 6 million Tibetans, but it is in the larger interest of Central Asia, including China," Dalai Lama said at the inauguration ceremony of the Fourth All Tibetan Support Groups Conference on Saturday.
He said rivers originating from Tibet, the roof of the world, such as Brahmaputra are lifeline for people living in many Asian countries, including India.
"So the Indians certainly have rights to raise their concerns on the preservation of Tibet`s environment," he said.
He showed concern over the destruction of natural environment, exploitation of mineral resources, and threat to wildlife animals on the Tibetan plateau.
He said India is a living example of secular ethics and non-violence, which are relevant to the whole world.
Prime Minister of Tibetan government-in-exile Dr Lobsang Sangay said, "39 Tibetans have drank petrol and set their bodies on fire. These acts have demonstrated that occupation of Tibet is unacceptable and repression is unbearable."
He said, "India is a durable and reliable friend and supporter of the Tibetan people. Over the last more than 50 years, the Indian people have stood for justice and freedom of Tibetans."
Around 150 members of the Tibetan Support Groups from different parts of India are participating in the conference.
The first All India Tibet Support Groups Conference was held in Chandigarh in 2003, followed the by second in Bodhgaya in 2006 and the third in Delhi in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch