Dalai Lama seeks support for jailed Chinese leader Liu
Dharamsala: The Dalai Lama has sought international support for jailed Chinese dissident leader and Nobel laureate Liu Xiaobo.
"Recently I have heard of a petition submitted by intellectuals in China seeking Liu Xiaobo`s release from prison," a post on his official website, quoting the Dalai Lama, said Wednesday.
"I feel that just as Aung San Suu Kyi benefited from international support during her detention, the same should be provided to Xiaobo," the Tibetan spiritual leader, himself a Nobel Peace Prize winner, told reporters in Frankfurt Tuesday.
Human rights activist Liu is currently serving an 11-year prison sentence on charges of inciting subversion of state power in China.
On talks between his envoys and the Chinese leadership over greater autonomy for Tibet, the elderly monk said: "There is no result. The Chinese continue to accuse us of separatism. The last meeting took place in 2010."
Asked what Germans can do to help the Tibetan people, he suggested they visit Tibet, see the situation for themselves and let people know what they find.
The Dalai Lama has lived in India since fleeing his homeland in 1959. The Tibetan exile administration is based in this northern Indian hill town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Saudi Airlines flight halted for 3 days in Ahmedabad!
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Alcohol kills an Indian every 96 minutes
- KSEEB 2nd (II) PUC Results 2016 Karnataka Board: Kseeb.kar.nic.in & karresults.nic.in for Class 12th XII, Second PUC Exam Results 2016 Karnataka Board, KSEEB to be declared shortly
- Devastated Ben Stokes undergoes surgery; Reece Topley ruled out for three months
- Honda City Vs Honda BR-V: A comparative review
- Have you seen Bajrang Dal training video shot in Ayodhya? Watch it here