Dalai Lama seeks support for jailed Chinese leader Liu
Dharamsala: The Dalai Lama has sought international support for jailed Chinese dissident leader and Nobel laureate Liu Xiaobo.
"Recently I have heard of a petition submitted by intellectuals in China seeking Liu Xiaobo`s release from prison," a post on his official website, quoting the Dalai Lama, said Wednesday.
"I feel that just as Aung San Suu Kyi benefited from international support during her detention, the same should be provided to Xiaobo," the Tibetan spiritual leader, himself a Nobel Peace Prize winner, told reporters in Frankfurt Tuesday.
Human rights activist Liu is currently serving an 11-year prison sentence on charges of inciting subversion of state power in China.
On talks between his envoys and the Chinese leadership over greater autonomy for Tibet, the elderly monk said: "There is no result. The Chinese continue to accuse us of separatism. The last meeting took place in 2010."
Asked what Germans can do to help the Tibetan people, he suggested they visit Tibet, see the situation for themselves and let people know what they find.
The Dalai Lama has lived in India since fleeing his homeland in 1959. The Tibetan exile administration is based in this northern Indian hill town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM