Dam bursts in Himachal Pradesh during trial
Manali: A newly-built dam with capacity of 12,000 cubic metre near here collapsed today during its first trial, with authorities ordering a probe into the shocking incident.
The newly built reservoir of?4.8 MW Aleo Electric Project-2 at Pirni burst during its first trial this morning but there was no causality as the dam collapsed from the river side. The water?flowed into the river Beas and no labourers were on the site as it was a Sunday.
Manali SDM Vinay Dhiman said that there was no intimation from the promoters of the power project regarding the testing of the reservoir.
He said that a departmental enquiry would be conducted to ascertain the cause of collapse of the dam.
Company officials were unavailable for comment.
The incident sparked panic among locals, especially in Pirni-- the "adopted" village of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Locals claimed that had the water flown towards the Aleo Bridge, localities downstream would have been washed away, including the nearby labour camp, resulting in huge casualties.
The reservoir with 12,000 cubic meter capacity was filled for the first time since its construction and was being tested since yesterday.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke