Devotees offer prayers for Dalai Lama`s longevity
Dharamsala: Hundreds of devotees including foreigners gathered at Dharamsala in Himachal Pradesh on the 50th founding anniversary of the Tibetan paramilitary in India, and offered special prayers for the longevity of Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
The prayers were held at Tsuglagkhang Temple that echoed with chants and constant reverberation of traditional cymbals and the Tibetan prayer wheels.
Tibetan Buddhist monks dressed in traditional maroon cloaks and caps received the Dalai Lama with customary ceremonials.
They escorted their revered leader to the ancient devotional tunes played on flutes by locals and beats of drums, and then he was conducted towards the temple.
Members of the Central Tibet Administration (CTA) as well as the Tibetan Prime Minister in-exile Lobsang Sangay also participated in the prayers and allied rituals.
"Today is the anniversary of the beginning of the Tibetan Army in India (sic) and they are celebrating their anniversary but this is an annual long-life Puja (prayer) for the Dalai Lama, they do this every year. It will last for four days," said Victoria, a devotee of the Dalai Lama.
China considers the Dalai Lama a separatist for his long struggle for Tibetan autonomy, and tensions over the issue are at their highest in years after a spate of protests and self-immolations, which have prompted a Chinese security crackdown.
The Dalai Lama, who fled to India in 1959 following a failed uprising, has accused China of "cultural genocide". Beijing considers him a separatist and does not trust his insistence that he only wants greater autonomy for his Himalayan homeland.
The Dalai Lama still casts a long shadow over policy-making, and many Tibetans worry what shape their struggle for greater autonomy will take once the charismatic leader, with his message of non-violence, dies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip