Dharamsala to be developed as sports city: Dhumal
Dharamsala: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister P K Dhumal on Monday said Dharamsala, the winter seat of the state government, in Kangra district would be developed as a sports city and that necessary infrastructure were being developed.
“The city has an international cricket stadium where IPL matches were played recently. It also has an indoor stadium where a synthetic athletics track is being developed. Wooden
flooring has been done at a cost of Rs 130 crore," Dhumal said.
He said another synthetic track would be laid in Hamirpur and two volley ball terra flex courts were coming up in Bilaspur and Una. In the last three years, the state government provided government jobs to 256 people under the sports quota, he said.
The chief minister noted two shooters from the state were participating in 2010 Commonwealth Games. "Shamresh Jung from HP was declared the best athlete in the last Games."
He was speaking at the closing ceremony of the three-day Women Sports Festival held in Police Stadium here in which 1000 athletes from 12 districts of the state competed in seven different disciplines. Kangra district was declared as the overall champion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk