Dhumal demands judicial probe into phone tapping
Hamirpur (HP): Former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Tuesday demanded a judicial enquiry by a sitting High Court judge into "so called" phone tapping during the BJP regime, raked up by present Congress government.
A committee found over 1,000 phones of politicians, bureaucrats and journalists were tapped during previous Dhumal-led BJP government in the state, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh had said yesterday.
He had alleged that the tapping could not have taken place without the knowledge of the then chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, who was also the Home minister.
Dhumal asked Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh to make public the names of the persons whose phones have been tapped and alleged that the Congress government was trying to side track the issue by withholding the names to keep the pot boiling.
He demanded immediate release of the list of the persons whose names figured in the "so called" tapped list.
"Why Virbhadra Singh did not react when mine and phones of other BJP leaders were tapped during his regime?" Dhumal said.
The former CM said phone tapping was the prerogative of the police to keep tabs on activities of anti-national and anti-social and elements under the Telegraph Act of 1885.
The Congress party had been raising this issue since 2010 and had even written a letter to the then President of India requesting her to order an enquiry into the matter as the Department of Telegraph was under the central government, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow