Dhumal demands judicial probe into phone tapping
Hamirpur (HP): Former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Tuesday demanded a judicial enquiry by a sitting High Court judge into "so called" phone tapping during the BJP regime, raked up by present Congress government.
A committee found over 1,000 phones of politicians, bureaucrats and journalists were tapped during previous Dhumal-led BJP government in the state, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh had said yesterday.
He had alleged that the tapping could not have taken place without the knowledge of the then chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, who was also the Home minister.
Dhumal asked Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh to make public the names of the persons whose phones have been tapped and alleged that the Congress government was trying to side track the issue by withholding the names to keep the pot boiling.
He demanded immediate release of the list of the persons whose names figured in the "so called" tapped list.
"Why Virbhadra Singh did not react when mine and phones of other BJP leaders were tapped during his regime?" Dhumal said.
The former CM said phone tapping was the prerogative of the police to keep tabs on activities of anti-national and anti-social and elements under the Telegraph Act of 1885.
The Congress party had been raising this issue since 2010 and had even written a letter to the then President of India requesting her to order an enquiry into the matter as the Department of Telegraph was under the central government, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says