Dhumal joins brigade of CMs opposing NCTC
Shimla: Joining the brigade of four CMs
opposing creation of the National Counter Terrorism Centre,
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said on Friday that
the move was another attempt to usurp the powers of the states
and weaken the country`s federal structure.
"Whenever an incident of terrorism takes place, Centre
comes out with another investigating agency to divert the
attention of the people and infringes upon the rights of the
state, weakening the federal structure."
The powers given to the CBI to investigate cases without
nod from the state government and constitution of National
Investigating Agency (NIA) had already trampled the rights of
the states and instead of fighting terrorism, the UPA
government was trying to arm itself with powers to dilute the
country`s federal structure, he said.
Claiming that states like Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh
have shown the political will and succeeded in combating
terrorism, he alleged that the Centre had not been able even
to hang "dreaded terrorists" like Afzal Guru despite his
conviction by the Supreme Court.
Noting that multiplication of agencies and interference
in functioning of the states would not help in curbing
terrorism, he said the government should instead demonstrate
the will and determination to fight terrorism.
Chief Ministers of four states including Mamata Banerjee
(West Bengal), Jayalalithaa (Tamil Nadu), Naveen Patnaik
(Odisa) and Nitish Kumar (Bihar) have already come out against
the plans to create National Counter Terrorism Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'