Disciples attend Karmapa`s initiation ceremony in Himachal
Dharamsala: Thousands of people, comprising monks and nuns and disciples from various countries, converged at the Dorzong Monastic Institute in Himachal Pradesh Monday to attend the long-life initiation ceremony by the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje.
The initiation ceremony marked the conclusion of the Karmapa`s five-day visit to the institute at Gopalpur in Kangra district, some 25 km from here.
In an official statement, the Karmapa`s office said that three days were dedicated to spiritual teachings at the Dorzong Monastic Institute.
"These teachings were provided primarily to the female practitioners, although there is no gender in the `Dharma`. The Dharma has to do with working with the mind, and the mind is neither male nor female," the Karmapa said.
Lama Tsultrim, a disciple of the Karmapa, said: "His Holiness has demonstrated an unconditional commitment to working for the well being of women, and agreed to our request to dedicate this event to women practitioners all around the world."
The Karmapa resides at his temporary abode at Gyuto Tantric University and Monastery in Sidhbari, 10 km from here, which is the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile. He fled Tibet and sought refuge in India in January 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`