Disciples attend Karmapa`s initiation ceremony in Himachal
Dharamsala: Thousands of people, comprising monks and nuns and disciples from various countries, converged at the Dorzong Monastic Institute in Himachal Pradesh Monday to attend the long-life initiation ceremony by the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje.
The initiation ceremony marked the conclusion of the Karmapa`s five-day visit to the institute at Gopalpur in Kangra district, some 25 km from here.
In an official statement, the Karmapa`s office said that three days were dedicated to spiritual teachings at the Dorzong Monastic Institute.
"These teachings were provided primarily to the female practitioners, although there is no gender in the `Dharma`. The Dharma has to do with working with the mind, and the mind is neither male nor female," the Karmapa said.
Lama Tsultrim, a disciple of the Karmapa, said: "His Holiness has demonstrated an unconditional commitment to working for the well being of women, and agreed to our request to dedicate this event to women practitioners all around the world."
The Karmapa resides at his temporary abode at Gyuto Tantric University and Monastery in Sidhbari, 10 km from here, which is the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile. He fled Tibet and sought refuge in India in January 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information