Disillusionment, infighting caused Congress defeat
Shimla: Disillusionment with the Congress besides infighting in the party ranks are being widely blamed for the end of its 26 years of control over the Shimla Municipal Corporation.
"The Congress defeat has sent clear signals that the people of Shimla were fed up with the corporation`s mismanagement in handling civic affairs for all these years," a senior official said.
These, he said, related to water shortage, lack of parking space, poor sanitation and lack of town beautification.
Congress leaders say its humiliating defeat a few months before the assembly elections will echo in the Congress Working Committee meeting in New Delhi next week.
In the May 27 Shimla Municipal Corporation polls, the Congress not only failed to secure a majority but also lost the mayor`s and the deputy mayor`s posts, elections to which were held directly for the first time.
The party lost the posts not to its rival Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) but to the Communist Party of India-Marxist.
After the debacle, there are calls to oust state Congress president Kaul Singh. Most losing candidates were supposedly close to Singh.
Many in the Congress are reportedly not happy with Singh`s performance and want a change in the leadership.
One legislator said senior party functionaries, including cabinet ministers Anand Sharma and Virbhadra Singh, have to bury their differences and jointly prepare for the assembly elections.
"Lack of coordination at the grassroots level and the egos of senior leaders have damaged the party the most," he said.
Kaul Singh had said earlier, "I admit there must have been shortcomings on our part. But infighting to some extent cannot be ruled out."
Elections to the Himachal Pradesh assembly are likely in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery