Don`t travel on Manali-Leh highway after October
Shimla: The Border Road Organisation (BRO) Thursday advised against travelling on the strategic highway that connects Manali in Himachal Pradesh to Leh in Jammu and Kashmir after the end of this month due to possible snowfall.
"Chances of untimely snowfall on the Manali-Leh highway are high after this month. We advise the motorists not to travel on the highway as we will not be in a position to operate it smoothly beyond Oct 31," a BRO spokesperson said.
The BRO maintains the 475-km National Highway-21 that passes through Rohtang Pass (13,050 ft), Baralacha Pass (16,020 ft), Lachlungla Pass (16,620 ft) and Tanglangla Pass (17,480 ft).
If any vehicle got stranded due to bad weather or any other eventuality, the BRO would not be able to carry out snow-clearing or highway reopening operation, the spokesperson said.
The BRO starts withdrawing its men and machinery deployed at various locations along the highway in November.
The highway, which remains closed for more than six months owing to heavy snowfall, also plays an important role in the movement of armed forces in Ladakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation