Door-step relief for farmers in rain-ravaged Kinnaur: CM
Shimla: Relief and compensation to farmers of rain-ravaged Kinnaur district would be provided at their door-step and all steps would taken to restore the damaged road network, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Tuesday said.
"Apple, peas and rajma (red kidney beans) crops have suffered extensive damage, and in many places the damage was upto 90 per cent. Government will provide cash relief and other facilities to the affected people at their door-step," Singh said while talking to reporters here.
Officials of Horticulture and Agriculture departments and revenue officers have been asked to make detailed assessment of loss and prepare damage reports, he said, adding that he had met the Prime Minister in this connection and sought immediate relief of Rs 1,000 crore.
More than 10,000 animals perished, 1,000 houses were damaged and 20 persons lost their lives in heavy rains in between June 16 and 18 and massive landslides triggered by the rains blocked all roads to Kinnaur district.
Loss of private and public property in the unprecedented rains was estimated at Rs 2,575 crore, Singh said.
"There is no shortage of essential items in the disaster-hit areas," the Chief Minister stressed and said, a malicious campaign was on against the government by some vested quarters.
State government will take steps to restore the old Hindustan-Tibet Road for an alternate route to the tribal areas upto the borders of Tibet, Singh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you