EC says no to Vajpayee`s photo on PDS carrybags
Shimla: The Election Commission (EC) on Sunday stopped the BJP government in Himachal Pradesh from distributing free PDS bags carrying photographs of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
"Henceforth, no bags will be issued to the consumers of public distribution system (PDS) with a picture of any political leader, of whatever stature he/she is," Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath told reporters here.
Sampath was here with other EC officials to review election preparedness ahead of the Nov 4 assembly polls in the state.
Replying to a question on bags with Vajpayee`s photos being distributed to PDS beneficiaries, Sampath said there would not be any distribution of such bags from Sunday.
He said the EC acted in this regard on the basis of a complaint.
The state government, with over 16-lakh ration card holders, launched a scheme Aug 15 under which a free cloth carrybag was to be provided to every ration card holder in a month for procuring goods.
A bag prominently carries the photo of BJP veteran Vajpayee.
Sampath said the EC had received a number of other election-related complaints from parties.
"We have also received a complaint that Doordarshan has not been working in an impartial manner. We will take up the matter with the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting," he said.
On a complaint of indiscriminate re-employment and extension granted to certain government officials, Sampath said: "We`ll look into it. Those who are sitting on certain sensitive posts and may try to influence the election process, appropriate action will be taken against them."
"The commission will also look into other complaints against officers with doubtful integrity posted in the districts," he said.
The EC has also received a complaint over a massive recruitment drive by the Himachal Pradesh University in Shimla.
On paid news, Sampath said a three-tier system has been put into place.
Satisfied with the election preparedness, he said the state has 100 percent photo electoral rolls and equal percentage of electoral photo identity cards.
"With the initiative of the commission, 97 percent voters have been registered while the number of newly enrolled voters in the 18 to 19 age group has gone above 80 percent," he said.
Himachal Pradesh will elect a new 68-member assembly Nov 4. The votes will be counted Dec 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!