Efforts to tarnish Virbhadra`s image: Ambika Soni
New Delhi: Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni on Saturday said the graft charges had been levelled against senior Congress leader Virbhadra Singh to "tarnish" his image ahead of Assembly Elections in Himachal Pradesh.
"This issue coming up at this particular time raises many question marks. Because I have read that the papers somebody has accessed or which has been distributed bears the date of 2010. We are entering in 2012, what were they doing in these two years?" Soni told journalists here.
"To take it up at this time and to create a media movement on this issue that makes many of us feel that it has political overtones," she said.
Soni said Himachal Pradesh is going to elections on November 04 and the people of the state were tired of the last five years of governance.
"They are looking up to Congress party and Virbhadra Singh is one of the leaders of Congress party, a former chief minister. So, they are trying to tarnish the image of our whole team," Soni said.
"But I am afraid people see through all these machinations and they do realise that a paper which nobody spoke of for two years suddenly seems to have gained importance for the opposition. And I think this is not going to serve their purpose of giving them more brownie points in the elections," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it