Election Commission seeks report on Himachal CM`s affidavits
Shimla: The Election Commission has initiated an inquiry against Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and wife for allegedly not declaring all assets while contesting elections.
Responding to a complaint filed by BJP MP Anurag Thakur, the Election Commission of India sought from the state Chief Electoral Officer, details about the assets of Virbhadra Singh and wife Pratibha Singh shown in the affidavit and the assets, alleged to have been concealed.
Confirming the development CEO Narinder Chauhan said the voluminous documents have been sent by post and he was yet to receive the documents, and added that no timeframe has been fixed for sending the reply.
Thakur, who is the son of former Himachal chief minister P K Dhumal, had alleged in his complaint that Virbhadra and Pratibha had not declared full payments or shares in their election affidavits, and sought action against them.
While Virbhadra filed his nominations and affidavit on October 17, 2012, for the assembly elections, which Congress won, Pratibha filed her papers for by-elections to Mandi parliamentary constituency on May 30 last year.
While Pratibha`s term would expire on June 1 this year along with the current Lok Sabha, Virbhadra`s term would go on till December 2017 when the term of the current Himachal assembly comes to an end.
Opposition BJP has been demanding the Chief Minister`s resignation over alleged corruption by a power company which had paid the CM and his wife Rs 3.5 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!