Exiled Tibetans pray for release of Panchen Lama
Shimla: Exiled Tibetans offered special prayers for the long life and release of the 11th Panchen Lama, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, on his 24th birthday at an event here.
The Panchen Lama, the second highest ranking Lama in the Tibetan Buddhist hierarchy, is being detained by the Chinese authorities at an unknown location.
Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, the 11th Panchen Lama, and his family have been missing for the past 18 years.
Buddhist monks gathered together, prayed and chanted religious hymns in his honour.
Many Buddhists all over the world are deeply concerned about his well-being and his whereabouts.
"We are hoping that… In fact, we are requesting all the international community to pressurise China to release his eminence, the Panchen Lama and bring him to his rightful place, that is the monastery in Tibet," said a Tibetan-in-exile, Tsering Dolma.
The Panchen Lama is the second highest Tibetan Buddhist leader after the Dalai Lama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks