Exiled Tibetans pray for release of Panchen Lama
Shimla: Exiled Tibetans offered special prayers for the long life and release of the 11th Panchen Lama, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, on his 24th birthday at an event here.
The Panchen Lama, the second highest ranking Lama in the Tibetan Buddhist hierarchy, is being detained by the Chinese authorities at an unknown location.
Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, the 11th Panchen Lama, and his family have been missing for the past 18 years.
Buddhist monks gathered together, prayed and chanted religious hymns in his honour.
Many Buddhists all over the world are deeply concerned about his well-being and his whereabouts.
"We are hoping that… In fact, we are requesting all the international community to pressurise China to release his eminence, the Panchen Lama and bring him to his rightful place, that is the monastery in Tibet," said a Tibetan-in-exile, Tsering Dolma.
The Panchen Lama is the second highest Tibetan Buddhist leader after the Dalai Lama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM