Exiled Tibetans pray for release of Panchen Lama
Shimla: Exiled Tibetans offered special prayers for the long life and release of the 11th Panchen Lama, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, on his 24th birthday at an event here.
The Panchen Lama, the second highest ranking Lama in the Tibetan Buddhist hierarchy, is being detained by the Chinese authorities at an unknown location.
Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, the 11th Panchen Lama, and his family have been missing for the past 18 years.
Buddhist monks gathered together, prayed and chanted religious hymns in his honour.
Many Buddhists all over the world are deeply concerned about his well-being and his whereabouts.
"We are hoping that… In fact, we are requesting all the international community to pressurise China to release his eminence, the Panchen Lama and bring him to his rightful place, that is the monastery in Tibet," said a Tibetan-in-exile, Tsering Dolma.
The Panchen Lama is the second highest Tibetan Buddhist leader after the Dalai Lama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket