Exiled Tibetans pray for release of Panchen Lama
Shimla: Exiled Tibetans offered special prayers for the long life and release of the 11th Panchen Lama, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, on his 24th birthday at an event here.
The Panchen Lama, the second highest ranking Lama in the Tibetan Buddhist hierarchy, is being detained by the Chinese authorities at an unknown location.
Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, the 11th Panchen Lama, and his family have been missing for the past 18 years.
Buddhist monks gathered together, prayed and chanted religious hymns in his honour.
Many Buddhists all over the world are deeply concerned about his well-being and his whereabouts.
"We are hoping that… In fact, we are requesting all the international community to pressurise China to release his eminence, the Panchen Lama and bring him to his rightful place, that is the monastery in Tibet," said a Tibetan-in-exile, Tsering Dolma.
The Panchen Lama is the second highest Tibetan Buddhist leader after the Dalai Lama.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!