Exiled Tibetans promote their culture, traditions in Dharamsala
Dharamsala: Exiled Tibetans congregated here recently to attend the inaugural ceremony of a non-governmental organisation, `Tibet world`, which aimed to promote their culture and traditions.
The director of the non-governmental organisation, `Tibet World`, Yeshi Lhundup, said: "Our mission is to preserve and cultivate our Tibetan culture and to empower the Tibetans to improve their lives. So, preserving the Tibetan culture and to cultivate it is the most important, it is the responsibility of all Tibetans."
Reportedly, there had been clashes in September after Tibetans refused to raise China`s flag outside their homes.
As shocking as the first suicides were, the people who chose to burn themselves did so, Tibetan scholars say, in reaction to specific instances of abuse at particular monasteries. Tibetan Buddhist monasteries are often under surveillance and subject to raids by Chinese security forces.
Beijing considers the Dalai Lama, who fled China in 1959 after an abortive uprising against Chinese rule, a violent separatist. The Dalai Lama, who is based in India, says he is merely seeking greater autonomy for his Himalayan homeland.
Since 2009, at least 121 Tibetans have set themselves on fire in China in protest against Beijing`s policies in Tibet and nearby regions with large Tibetan populations. Most were calling for the return of the Dalai Lama.
Tensions have mounted between Tibet and China since 2008, after riots that broke out in the Tibet Autonomous Region and the Tibetan parts of China, which led to a government crackdown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’