Fresh snowfall, widespread rains lash Himachal, 150 rescued
Shimla: Fresh snowfall and widespread rains lashed higher parts of Himachal Pradesh while at least 150 persons stranded at Rohtang Pass have been rescued by district administration.
Dozens of vehicles were stranded on either side of the Rohtang Pass between Glacier prone Rani Nallah and Koksar and all the stranded persons have been rescued, Rakesh Kanwar, Deputy Commissioner, Kullu said.
About 70 persons were rescued last evening and remaining 80 were picked up on Saturday, the DC said, adding that SDM Manali had rushed to the spot and started the rescue operations.
The region experienced widespread rains during the past 24 hours while tribal areas and high altitude mountain passes had moderate snowfall.
Keylong and Koksar recorded 12 cm of snow while Rohtang and other higher reaches in tribal belt had 50 cm to 70 cm of snowfall.
Manmohan Singh, Director, MeT office said that snowfall during May is not unusual and tribal areas received snowfall in May in 2004, 2005, 2009 and 2012 also.
Gohar received 25 mm of rains while, Pandoh and Khadrala had 22 mm rains, followed by Kalpa 21 mm, Manali 20 mm, Sainj 19 mm, Bajura 18 mm, Bijahi and Annu 17 mm, Karsog, Pooh 15 mm and Mandi 13 mm.
The minimum temperatures stayed below normal and Keylong was coldest with minimum temperature at 1.8 deg C while Kalpa and manali recorded a low of 4.6 degree Manali 7.0 deg C, Shimla and Chamba 12.0 deg C, Bhuntar 12.4 deg C, Palampur 14.5 deg C, Sundernagar 15.4 deg C, Dharamsala 16.2 deg C and Una 16.4 deg C.
Dharamshala recorded 27.8 deg C, Shimla 26.1 deg C and Kalpa 18.6 deg C.
The local MeT office has predicted rains/snow/thunderstorm at some places in mid and higher hills during next 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg