Gorkhas demand MLA`s resignation over monkey menac
Dharamsala (Himachal Pradesh): Condemning Himachal BJP MLA Ravinder Ravi`s "derogatory" remarks against their community, Gorkhas in the state on Monday demanded his resignation.
"Ravi must resign and apologise to the community for his statement," Punjab and Himachal Gorkha Community president Bhupinder Singh Gurung said here.
The community members also burnt an effigy of the legislator.
Ravi, a former Himachal Pradesh minister and BJP MLA from Dehra constituency of Kangra district, had offered an "unusual" solution to tackle menace of monkeys and stray dogs - deploying Naga and Gorkha regiments in the state from time to time.
Moving a resolution in the Assembly on the menace of stray animals, the BJP lawmaker on April 5 had said, "If Gorkha regiment or Naga regiment is posted in different cantonments of the state from time to time, the population of monkeys would decline with passage of time."
The former Irrigation and Public Health Minister also said some of the delicacies from the region to which these contingents belong are based on the meat of these animals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH