Government asks locals to stay away from Beas river for next 24 hours
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Heavy amount of water will be released from Pandoh and Larji dam after 7 pm on Monday into Beas river in Himachal Pradesh, as per reports.
The government has warned locals to stay away from the river for the next 24 hours due to the release of water.
24 students were washed away last evening in river Beas near Thalot on Manali-Kiratpur Highway, 40 kms from Mandi. Five bodies were recovered today.
For the ill-fated group of students of a city-based engineering college merrily taking photos on the banks of Beas river, tragedy struck in a matter of couple of minutes as they were washed away in the swirling waters which suddenly rose several feet.
The gush of water turned out to be a tide of death, recounted surviving students. Many of them, particularly girls, were seen in a state of panic in Himachal Pradesh, where they are accommodated in lodges, PTI reported.
The students were caught unawares by the sudden discharge of water in the river from the reservoir of 126 MW Larji project.
The students alleged that neither was there any siren, to alert the people about the release of water nor any danger mark signboards on the river bank.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30