HC`s go ahead to HP govt for blanket ban on junk food
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh High Court on Thursday vacated its stay on a state government order and directed it to ban the storage, supply, sale and entry of junk food packaged in plastic/non-biodegradable material from January 26, 2014.
Sale of drinking water is exempted from the ban.
A Division Bench comprising Justices Rajiv Sharma and VK Sharma also directed the government to ensure that the edible oils/fats shall not be sold in plastic bottles/pouches and shall be packed in tin containers.
The court also directed the government to ensure that from March 31, 2014 onwards, no food stuff including primary and essential food is manufactured, transported, sold, packaged and distributed without conforming to the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulation, 2011.
The court also directed the state to appoint a Food Commissioner, if not already appointed, within four weeks to ensure that no person is permitted to start or carry on any food business without obtaining license.
Referring to its previous order, the Bench observed that the court had entered into the arena of legislation by staying the government`s notification?of June 26, 2013.?
The courts only recognise and enforce the fundamental, Constitutional and legal rights of the parties, the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened