Head to Shimla, Manali for white Valentine`s Day
Shimla: A thick blanket of snow covered the picturesque tourist resorts of Shimla and Manali in Himachal Pradesh early Friday, making them perfect for revellers on the Valentine`s Day.
As news of the snowfall spread, tourists started arriving at the hill stations, said members of the hospitality industry.
The temperature remained near the freezing point in many places, a weather department official told a news agency here.
"The high hills in Lahaul and Spiti, Kinnaur, Kullu, Shimla, Sirmaur and Chamba districts have been experiencing moderate snowfall," he said.
Manali, which saw a low of minus one degree Celsius, saw 18 cm of snow.
Shimla, which recorded a minimum of one degree Celsius, saw 2 cm snow. But its nearby destinations Kufri, Fagu and Narkanda experienced moderate to heavy snowfall, the official said.
Kalpa, around 250 km from here, was the coldest at a minus 2.8 degrees Celsius. It saw 18 cm of snow.
Lower areas of the state including Dharamsala, Palampur, Solan, Nahan, Bilaspur, Una, Hamirpur and Mandi towns received moderate rain, bringing down the temperature considerably.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr