Hills near Shimla, Manali get season`s first snow
Shimla: Hills near the popular tourist destinations of Shimla and Manali Thursday saw light snowfall - the season`s first spell, a weather official said here, triggering a rush of tourists.
Tourist spots near Shimla, like honeymooners` paradise Kufri, Fagu and Narkanda experienced snowfall but the flakes melted within few hours.
The hills near Manali like Kothi and Marhi also have experienced snowfall, an official of the Met Office said.
The majestic Rohtang Pass, located 52 km from Manali at an altitude of 13,050 feet that lies on the Manali-Leh National Highway-21, saw more than one foot of snow.
The official said the higher reaches in Lahaul and Spiti, Chamba, Kinnaur and Kullu districts experienced moderate snowfall.
"There are chances of snowfall in high hills till Friday as western disturbances are active the region," he said. Western disturbance is an atmospheric system that causes rains and snowfall.
Popular tourist destinations Shimla, Kasauli, Manali, Dharamsala, Chamba and Dalhousie have been experiencing intermittent rains.
Due to cloudy conditions, the minimum temperatures across the state have increased by two to three degrees Celsius since Wednesday.
The state capital, which saw mild rain, recorded a low of 6.1 degrees Celsius, while it was minus 0.7 degree Celsius in Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district, 3.6 degrees Celsius in Manali, 1.5 degrees Celsius in Kalpa in Kinnaur district and 7.6 degrees Celsius in Dharamsala.
Keylong and Kalpa have also experienced snow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh