Himachal: 27 die in bus accident
Shimla: At least 27 people were killed when a bus fell into a 1,000 foot deep gorge in Himachal Pradesh`s Bilaspur district, officials said Tuesday.
The accident happened Monday near Danoh, 150 km from here. As many as 25 people were injured.
A bus carrying passengers from Bilaspur to Bandla had broken down. Another bus that was coming on the same route stopped to pick up the passengers of the bus.
"Because of the darkness, the bus driver couldn`t see the edge of the road. While the passengers were getting on to the bus it rolled down the hill and fell into a 1,000-foot deep gorge," Deputy Commissioner Ritesh Chauhan told reporters.
Superintendent of Police Santosh Patial said most of the victims died on the spot.
The rescue operation was still on, he added.
The government has ordered an inquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what