Himachal: Beas river tragedy video surfaces
Zee Media Bureau
Mandi (Himachal Pradesh): Three days after 24 students of VNR Vignana Jyothi College of Engineering were washed away after water from the Larji hydropower project dam was released without warning, a heart-rending video of the unfortunate incident has surfaced.
The video shows students on the river enjoying themselves and taking photographs when suddenly the water level rises, washing them away in the raging waters of the Beas river in Himachal Pradesh.
The video was taken by a shopkeeper. The footage reveals that some locals tried to warn the students, but as they were quite far away their voice could not reach them.
About 60 students and faculty members of the Engineering college were on an excursion to Manali and 25 persons were washed away in flash floods following sudden release of water from reservoir of Larji hydropower project near Thalot on Sunday evening.
The bodies of four victims, including three girls, were brought to Hyderabad by a defence aircraft in the early hours of Tuesday and handed over to their relatives.
Heart rending scenes were witnessed as the parents of the victims arrived at Begumpet airport. A large number of relatives and friends of the victims gathered to receive the bodies that the aircraft brought from Delhi.
Telangana Home Minister Nayani Narasimha Reddy has been camping in Mandi to monitor rescue and relief work.
The shocking video has been released by AmarUjala.com and Zee Media does not authenticate the genuineness of the video.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city