Himachal CM demands fresh elections to HPCA
Hamirpur: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh today justified cancellation of lease of lands given to Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) and said immediate fresh elections to the body be held in a "free and fair" manner.
Speaking at Sujanpurtira, 20 kilometers from here, the Chief Minister told reporters this morning that only bonafide Himachalis should be made the members and office bearers of the HP state cricket association.
He said that once fresh elections were held, the state government would hand over the control of the stadium to the new body.
In a swift operation in the wee hours, the state government cancelled the lease of lands given to HPCA by previous BJP government and took-over the International Stadium and Hotel Pavilion, Dharamsala.
The HPCA was headed by BJP MP and former chief minster P K Dhumal` son Anurag Thakur.
The chief minister alleged that HPCA had become Dhumal`s family affair and this would not be allowed anymore in the interests of sports in the state.
The Himirpur district administration also took over the control of the Amtar stadium, named after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Meanwhile, the BJP lambasted the state government for taking control of the stadiums on HPCA lands. District President of the BJP, Vijay Agnihotri described the step as anti-people and anti-sportspersons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump