Himachal CM Dhumal walking towards austerity
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal walks his way to his office as an austerity measure following the hike in petrol prices.
"I prefer to go to the office on foot as petrol prices have jacked up massively, putting a massive burden on state’s exchequer," Dhumal told reporters.
"Walking is more than a fashion in the hills. It keeps you healthy and active," he added.
He says saving petrol is part of the government`s austerity drive.
"The financial health of the state is in the red. Saving every penny is our priority. I have also directed the government functionaries to help in curtailing wasteful expenditure," he said.
For the past three days, Dhumal has been seen trudging more than a kilometre from his official residence to the state secretariat.
Soon after taking over the reins of the state for the second time Dec 30, 2007, Dhumal had said garlands, bouquets, shawls or mementoes presented to him at public functions involve gross wastage of money.
He directed party workers to instead donate the money to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation