Himachal CM for uniformity pattern to special category states
Shimla: Stating that 13th Finance Commission has underestimated state`s liabilities, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Friday asked for uniform parameters for funding of special category states.
In a memorandum submitted to President Pranab Mukherjee here today, Chief Minister, accompanied by his cabinet colleagues said had the 13th Finance Commission recommended grants on a par with other states, Himachal would have been entitled to receive additional share of Rs 10,725 crore from 2010 to 2015.
Stating that the Commission underestimated the committed liabilities on account of salary, interest and pension payments, the memorandum asked for providing special plan assistance to tide over financial problems.
Singh said there should be uniformity in funding pattern amongst special category states and Himachal should be treated on a par with other special category states and funding under centrally sponsored schemes should be in the ratio of 90:10 shared by Government of India and state government, respectively.
He also asked for restoration of Industrial Package for the state as the withdrawal of the package had hindered the industrial growth.
Stressing on extension on railways, the Chief Minister said the Bilaspur-Leh via Manali rail line be declared as project of national importance, adding that since independence only 44 km of rail lines had been added in the state and there was an urgent need of railway extension as the entire burden of goods and passengers traffic is borne by the road transport.
He also asked for speeding up the work on Nangal-Talwara rail line and broad gauging of Pathankot-Jogindernagar rail link.
Besides, the Chief Minister also stressed on conducting survey on Baddi-Chandigarh rail link in view of its economic importance.
Singh said the Supreme Court had accepted state`s claim on BBMB project and directed the central government to file calculations on long standing claim of Himachal Pradesh which amounts to Rs 4,250 crore to be released at the earliest.
He also asked for expediting assent of the President on Himachal Pradesh Electricity (Taxation on Generation) Act, 2011 to enable the state to mobilise additional resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore