Himachal hills get fresh snow
Shimla: The hills of Himachal Pradesh on Saturday saw a sharp fall in mercury due to overnight rain in the low and mid hills and snow in higher reaches, but the Met Office forecast mainly clear weather next week.
Most of the prominent tourist towns like Shimla, Narkanda, Kufri, Manali and Dalhousie, located in mid-hills, witnessed moderate to heavy rain, while high hills like Kalpa in Kinnaur district experienced moderate snow, according to a Met official here.
The state capital saw a minimum temperature of 5.6 degrees Celsius, while it was minus 0.6 degrees in Manali, 2.8 degrees in Dalhousie and 9.6 degrees in Dharamsala.
These towns experienced 19.2 mm, 37 mm, 74 mm and 61 mm rainfall, respectively.
Bharmour in Chamba district was the coldest place in the state with a low of minus 3.1 degrees Celsius.
"The higher reaches of Lahaul and Spiti, Kinnaur, Kullu, Shimla, Sirmaur and Chamba districts have experienced moderate snowfall," the official said.
Kalpa, some 250 km from here, and Keylong in Lahaul-Spiti experienced 10 cm and 4 cm snowfall, respectively.
The Met department said a Western disturbance - a storm system originating from the Mediterranean-Caspian Sea region and moving across the Afghanistan-Pakistan region - would be withdrawn by Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray