Himachal hydropower units remain shut for fourth day
Shimla: The country`s largest hydropower plants in Himachal Pradesh remained shut for the fourth consecutive day on Wednesday following a high silt level in the Sutlej river, triggering a power crisis in Punjab, Haryana and Delhi.
The plants in Kinnaur district were shut down on Sunday as the silt level in the river shot up following incessant rains.
"The silt level in the river is still alarmingly higher than the permissible limit," said Vijay Verma, deputy general manager of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd. (SJVNL), the company that owns and operates the 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri power project.
He said power generation cannot be resumed till the silt content comes down. Silt damages the power generators when water runs them. "Heavy rainfall in the catchment area is responsible for high silt," he added.
Jaypee Group`s 1,000 MW Karcham Wangtoo Hydroelectric Project has also been shut.
However, its other 300 MW Baspa hydropower project, located upstream of the Karcham Wangtoo project, resumed generation on Tuesday.
Official sources said the shutting down of the plants has created a power shortage in the northern states.
The plants supply electricity mainly to Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
The SJVNL, a joint venture between the Centre and the state government, generates about 38 million units of power daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says