Himachal lake adjoining temple to be cleaned
Mandi: A natural lake adjoining the centuries old hilltop Kamrunag temple, dedicated to the rain god, will be cleaned next week.
Women and tourists will be barred from the temple during the five-day lake cleaning operation.
"The Kamrunag lake will be cleaned from June 29 to July 3. During this period, there will a bar on the entry of women and tourists in the temple premises," temple official Vishnu Thakur told IANS.
The temple of Lord Kamrunag, also known as `Bada Deo Kamrunag`, is the principal deity and commands religious significance in the region.
The temple, accessible by a steep five-kilometre trek from Rohanda, some 50 km from here, is situated at an altitude of over 3,300 meters in Gohar area in Mandi district.
Old-timers say the lake cleaning is a centuries old tradition that helps to ward off evil spirits. During winter, the lake freezes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- If you survive in Mumbai cricket, you get rewarded: Shardul Thakur on maiden Test call-up
- Shah Rukh Khan remembers his school days, wonders how time has changed! Details inside
- Rio Olympics: Sachin Tendulkar meets wrestlers ahead of quadrennial event, boosts morale
- IPL 2016: Shane Watson reprimanded for using offensive language during match against Delhi Daredevils
- Photo alert! Aamir Khan dines with 'X-Men' star Ian McKellen