Himachal lake adjoining temple to be cleaned
Mandi: A natural lake adjoining the centuries old hilltop Kamrunag temple, dedicated to the rain god, will be cleaned next week.
Women and tourists will be barred from the temple during the five-day lake cleaning operation.
"The Kamrunag lake will be cleaned from June 29 to July 3. During this period, there will a bar on the entry of women and tourists in the temple premises," temple official Vishnu Thakur told IANS.
The temple of Lord Kamrunag, also known as `Bada Deo Kamrunag`, is the principal deity and commands religious significance in the region.
The temple, accessible by a steep five-kilometre trek from Rohanda, some 50 km from here, is situated at an altitude of over 3,300 meters in Gohar area in Mandi district.
Old-timers say the lake cleaning is a centuries old tradition that helps to ward off evil spirits. During winter, the lake freezes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'