Himachal lake adjoining temple to be cleaned
Mandi: A natural lake adjoining the centuries old hilltop Kamrunag temple, dedicated to the rain god, will be cleaned next week.
Women and tourists will be barred from the temple during the five-day lake cleaning operation.
"The Kamrunag lake will be cleaned from June 29 to July 3. During this period, there will a bar on the entry of women and tourists in the temple premises," temple official Vishnu Thakur told IANS.
The temple of Lord Kamrunag, also known as `Bada Deo Kamrunag`, is the principal deity and commands religious significance in the region.
The temple, accessible by a steep five-kilometre trek from Rohanda, some 50 km from here, is situated at an altitude of over 3,300 meters in Gohar area in Mandi district.
Old-timers say the lake cleaning is a centuries old tradition that helps to ward off evil spirits. During winter, the lake freezes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what