Himachal lake adjoining temple to be cleaned
Mandi: A natural lake adjoining the centuries old hilltop Kamrunag temple, dedicated to the rain god, will be cleaned next week.
Women and tourists will be barred from the temple during the five-day lake cleaning operation.
"The Kamrunag lake will be cleaned from June 29 to July 3. During this period, there will a bar on the entry of women and tourists in the temple premises," temple official Vishnu Thakur told IANS.
The temple of Lord Kamrunag, also known as `Bada Deo Kamrunag`, is the principal deity and commands religious significance in the region.
The temple, accessible by a steep five-kilometre trek from Rohanda, some 50 km from here, is situated at an altitude of over 3,300 meters in Gohar area in Mandi district.
Old-timers say the lake cleaning is a centuries old tradition that helps to ward off evil spirits. During winter, the lake freezes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister