Himachal literacy rate up 6.3 percent in decade: Census
Shimla: The literacy rate in Himachal Pradesh, with a population of over 68 lakh, has registered an increase of 6.3 percent over a decade, says a Census report.
The literacy rate has increased to 82.8 in 2011 from 76.5 in 2001, with male literacy rate increasing by 4.2 percent and female by 8.5 percent, said the final Census report for 2011 released here recently.
Census Joint Director RK Ram told a news agency that male literacy rate was up from 85.3 to 89.5 percent, whereas female literacy rate jumped from 67.4 to 75.9 percent.
On the other hand, the sex ratio in the state has increased from 968 to 972 in one decade, for a population of 68,64,602.
But the Census reveals a declining trend in the sex ratio in the rural areas compared to urban.
While the sex ratio in urban areas increased from 795 to 853, it came down marginally from 989 to 986 in the rural areas.
"Six of the 12 districts saw decline in the sex ratio, with Kinnaur registering the maximum decrease from 857 in 2001 to 819 in 2011," said Ram.
However, the child sex ratio has improved significantly in eight districts, including Una (837 to 875) and Kangra, the state`s biggest district (836 to 876).
The state has a population of 68,64,602 with a decadal growth of 12.9 per cent (2001-11) as against 17.5 percent in 1991-2001.
The growth rate of females (13.1 percent) is higher than males (12.8 percent) in the state, said the report.
The density of population increased to 123 people per sq km in 2011 from just 62 persons per sq km in 1971.
It said more than 90 percent people live in rural areas -- 17,882 villages -- of the total 20,690 revenue villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!