Himachal MLA wanted in murder case surrenders
Chandigarh: Himachal Congress MLA Ram Kumar Chaudhary, who was wanted in a murder case, surrendered before police on Tuesday.
The newly-elected legislator surrendered a day after the Haryana Police announced a reward of Rs 2 lakh on him.
Chaudhary, who was elected from the Doon Assembly seat, has been absconding ever since his name figured in the murder case of his former employee, 24-year-old Jyoti.
The victim was found dead near Sector 21 of Panchkula town, 15 km from Chandigarh, on November 22. Her head was smashed.
Police in Panchkula later booked Chaudhary and three others - Paramjeet, Dharampal and Gurmeet Singh in the crime.
A reward of Rs 50,000 each to anyone giving information on the whereabouts of Chaudhary`s accomplices was also announced.
The first session of the new Himachal Pradesh Assembly started in Dharamsala on Monday. Chaudhary was expected to take oath as a legislator.
A court in Panchkula had earlier rejected the anticipatory bail plea of Chaudhary. His bail plea before the Punjab and Haryana High Court was dismissed after he withdrew it.
Haryana Police claims that Chaudhary has an association with Jyoti and his arrest was necessary for further investigation of her murder case.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days