Himachal Monsoon session set to be stormy
Shimla: With Assembly elections only months away, the four-day Monsoon session of the Himachal Pradesh assembly starting Monday is likely to be stormy.
While the opposition Congress is set to grill the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government over corruption, the BJP believes it is time to highlight its achievements.
Congress leaders Sunday vowed to get aggressive.
"We will take on the government on the issue of corruption, illegal property transactions and for promoting realtors," a Congress leader told a news agency.
He said irregularities in public distribution system, bad condition of roads and problems of apple growers were also on the party`s agenda.
The Congress Aug 22 gave a "chargesheet" to President Pranab Mukherjee against the government in the hill state and demanded an inquiry against it.
In the "charge sheet", the Congress accused Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal of extending favours to his son Anurag Thakur, a BJP MP, and the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) controlled by him.
There will be four sittings in all. The last day has been earmarked for private members` business. The government has approved the five bills that will be introduced.
They include amending the land ceiling law to allow religious leaders to buy land in excess of the upper limit fixed by law in 1972 and giving 33 percent reservation to women in cooperative societies.
In the BJP-dominated 68-member assembly, the Congress has 23 members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Stem Cell treatment is effective in recovery of spinal injuries
- Cases against Baloch leaders-in-exile highlight Pakistan's frustration: BJP
- BSP leader Brajesh Pathak joins BJP
- Piaggio launches Aprilia SR 150 in India priced at Rs 65,000
- Family of killed Dalit youths, who died in 2012 Gujarat police firing, demand CBI probe