Himachal not in favour of pay commission
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh does not want to constitute an independent pay commission to fix pay scales of its government employees, and is following Punjab in pay fixation.
This fact came to light in an affidavit filed by Chief Secretary Rajwant Sandhu in the Himachal Pradesh High Court last week.
"The state has no intention to set up a pay commission for its employees and will continue to follow the Punjab pattern," said the affidavit.
A bench of Chief Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice DD Sud in December last year expressed surprise that the state has no pay commission of its own.
The court observed the state should have a pay commission so that the pay scales are appropriately fixed or rationalised.
It had directed the government to consider this issue and appraise the court in this regard within three months.
The chief secretary in her affidavit stated that it was not necessary that every state should have its own pay commission.
"It`s true that Punjab pattern cannot be implemented as it is but at the same time separate pay commission at this stage is not necessary when the previous pay panel recommendations have been applied," she said, adding "the court orders would be taken into consideration for future revisions".
According to budget estimates for 2012-13, out of the total expenditure of Rs 20,243.92 crore, spending on salaries and pensions will be Rs 9,069.81 crore.
This means about 45 percent of the total budget is meant for just 260,000 employees and 117,000 pensioners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster