Himachal panchayat leaders threaten to seek Chinese help, arrested
Shimla: A village head and a former village functionary in the border district of Lahaul and Spiti have been arrested on the charges of sedition after they allegedly threatened to seek China`s help for development of the region.
Chering Thopga, Pradhan of Kungri panchayat, and Lovzang Thondup, a former panchayat pradhan of Sagnam in Tribal Pin Valley in Kaza Sub-division of tribal Lahaul and Spiti district were booked on the charges of sedition and arrested last evening.
P L Thakur, Inspector General (Mandi range) said the two have been booked and would be produced in court today.
Expressing resentment over lack of development in the remote tribal areas, the two had allegedly threatened to seek help from China if the government remained indifferent to their demands.
The IG Police then reached Pin Valley to look into the matter.
The two reportedly admitted having made the pro-Chinese remarks recently but said it was out of anger and only to draw the attention of the government towards the "lack of development in the area and the sufferings of the people".
A video prepared by local media persons on the alleged pro-China remarks made by the two was also handed over to the police.
Locals are angry as a vital bridge on the Kirnee Nullah, which was washed away almost a year ago, has not been reconstructed and the temporary foot bridge has been damaged.
The farmers are also worried about transportation of their crop in the absence of the bridge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Bihar: This boy risks his life to save four students from drowning!
- Panel discussion on insensitive behaviour of administration and govt towards common man
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”
- India's bid to join US alliance could irk China, Pakistan: Chinese media
- MUST WATCH: When Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit two monster sixes out of Florida stadium