Himachal panchayat leaders threaten to seek Chinese help, arrested
Shimla: A village head and a former village functionary in the border district of Lahaul and Spiti have been arrested on the charges of sedition after they allegedly threatened to seek China`s help for development of the region.
Chering Thopga, Pradhan of Kungri panchayat, and Lovzang Thondup, a former panchayat pradhan of Sagnam in Tribal Pin Valley in Kaza Sub-division of tribal Lahaul and Spiti district were booked on the charges of sedition and arrested last evening.
P L Thakur, Inspector General (Mandi range) said the two have been booked and would be produced in court today.
Expressing resentment over lack of development in the remote tribal areas, the two had allegedly threatened to seek help from China if the government remained indifferent to their demands.
The IG Police then reached Pin Valley to look into the matter.
The two reportedly admitted having made the pro-Chinese remarks recently but said it was out of anger and only to draw the attention of the government towards the "lack of development in the area and the sufferings of the people".
A video prepared by local media persons on the alleged pro-China remarks made by the two was also handed over to the police.
Locals are angry as a vital bridge on the Kirnee Nullah, which was washed away almost a year ago, has not been reconstructed and the temporary foot bridge has been damaged.
The farmers are also worried about transportation of their crop in the absence of the bridge.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory