Himachal panchayat leaders threaten to seek Chinese help, arrested
Shimla: A village head and a former village functionary in the border district of Lahaul and Spiti have been arrested on the charges of sedition after they allegedly threatened to seek China`s help for development of the region.
Chering Thopga, Pradhan of Kungri panchayat, and Lovzang Thondup, a former panchayat pradhan of Sagnam in Tribal Pin Valley in Kaza Sub-division of tribal Lahaul and Spiti district were booked on the charges of sedition and arrested last evening.
P L Thakur, Inspector General (Mandi range) said the two have been booked and would be produced in court today.
Expressing resentment over lack of development in the remote tribal areas, the two had allegedly threatened to seek help from China if the government remained indifferent to their demands.
The IG Police then reached Pin Valley to look into the matter.
The two reportedly admitted having made the pro-Chinese remarks recently but said it was out of anger and only to draw the attention of the government towards the "lack of development in the area and the sufferings of the people".
A video prepared by local media persons on the alleged pro-China remarks made by the two was also handed over to the police.
Locals are angry as a vital bridge on the Kirnee Nullah, which was washed away almost a year ago, has not been reconstructed and the temporary foot bridge has been damaged.
The farmers are also worried about transportation of their crop in the absence of the bridge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP