Himachal Pradesh: 37 die as truck plunges into gorge
Shimla: At least 37 people, including 21
women and seven children, were killed and 25 injured when a
truck carrying them rolled down into a deep gorge near a
village, 45-km from Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh, today.
Around 70 people were travelling in the ill-fated truck
when the accident happened near village Koti in Balh area, IGP
(Law and Order) S R Mardi said.
The victims were returning home after attending a
community feast in village Koti when the truck veered off the
road and plunged into a 200-ft deep gorge.
Thirty-seven bodies had been recovered so far, the IGP
said adding the injured, numbering 25, were admitted to
Rescue operations were on to trace the missing, he
A pall of gloom descended on Siani village from where
all the victims hailed. Most of the households had lost a
family member, villagers said.
Himachal Pradesh Governor Urmilla Singh and Chief
Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal expressed grief over the loss of
lives in the accident.
They directed district officials to provide all
possible held to the injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family