Himachal Pradesh: 37 die as truck plunges into gorge
Shimla: At least 37 people, including 21
women and seven children, were killed and 25 injured when a
truck carrying them rolled down into a deep gorge near a
village, 45-km from Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh, today.
Around 70 people were travelling in the ill-fated truck
when the accident happened near village Koti in Balh area, IGP
(Law and Order) S R Mardi said.
The victims were returning home after attending a
community feast in village Koti when the truck veered off the
road and plunged into a 200-ft deep gorge.
Thirty-seven bodies had been recovered so far, the IGP
said adding the injured, numbering 25, were admitted to
Rescue operations were on to trace the missing, he
A pall of gloom descended on Siani village from where
all the victims hailed. Most of the households had lost a
family member, villagers said.
Himachal Pradesh Governor Urmilla Singh and Chief
Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal expressed grief over the loss of
lives in the accident.
They directed district officials to provide all
possible held to the injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000