Himachal Pradesh CM flags off 50 more ambulances
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Tuesday flagged off 50 more ambulances here, which will join the existing fleet of 112 ambulances operating in the state.
The new ambulances, associated with the `108` National Ambulance Service launched by the state government in December 2010, would be deployed across the state, Health Minister Kaul Singh told a news agency.
He said preference to deploy the ambulances would be given to the villages located in the interiors of Chamba, Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Shimla and Kangra districts.
To run the round-the-clock free ambulance service, the state has tied up with GVK-EMRI (Emergency Management Research Institute), a Hyderabad-based company, under a public-private partnership mode.
The project is jointly funded by the National Rural Health Mission and the state government.
All the 162 ambulances are furnished with life-saving equipment like automatic external defibrillator and drugs like anti-snake venom.
An ambulance takes 25 minutes to reach a person in urban areas and 35 minutes in rural areas.
Officials said the National Ambulance Service, earlier known as `108` Atal Swasthya Sewa, has so far attended over 300,000 emergency calls, including around 225,000 medical emergencies.
Of the total service provided, 88 percent is in rural areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list