Himachal Pradesh disaster area is death trap, says survivor
Rampur: "It`s now a death trap." So said a Doordarshan journalist rescued on Thursday after having been stranded for four days in a landslide-hit part of Himachal Pradesh.
"There is no water and electricity. The entire communication has been snapped since Sunday," Doordarshan`s news editor Nandini Mital told a news agency here after arriving from Pooh, 320 km from here, by an IAF chopper.
Mital was rescued by the Indian Air Force along with two colleagues and a few tourists. Rampur is the base camp for rescue operation.
She complained that no relief and rescue team from the state government or the National Disaster Management Authority had reached Pooh.
"This was the first flight to Pooh in four days. Every morning we were told to reach the helipad. Every day we were told to come the next dayh," she said.
Like her, 50-odd tourists mainly from Punjab and Chandigarh were stuck there.
Mital said: "There was no government functionary to assist the stranded people. The locals were benevolent. They provided food and shelter to us. There was no air dropping of essential items. The ration with the locals will last only five or six days."
Mital`s team was on an official assignment when they were caught in torrential rains near Khab, the cold desert close to the China border.
According to her, the national highway 22 which passes through Pooh was severally damaged at several locations due to landslips and rains.
She said she and the others were told to reach Pooh from Khab to board the helicopter.
"After leaving behind our vehicle, we reached Pooh on foot by covering over 15 km. In Pooh there was no government official to guide us. Finally, we took the help of an army unit," she said.
She said the entire stretch of the highway between Khab and Pooh had been wiped out.
"Even the entire standing crops of peas and wheat has been damaged due to untimely snow.
"The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) officials told us that it would take a month and a half to restore normal traffic on the Hindustan-Tibet Road," Mital said.
Official sources said three helicopters were deployed Thursday after the heavy rainfall stopped to evacuate tourists stranded across Kinnaur.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, also stranded in Sangla for over 60 hours, was airlifted on Tuesday.
Legislator Jagat Singh Negi said the maximum damage to property - both government and private - in the district was reported from Pooh block due to snow.
He said in certain areas most roads and bridges have been wiped out.
"The government has released Rs.3.5 crore as calamity relief fund," he added.
Officials said 14 people have been killed, including five members of a family, in landslide and rain-related incidents in the district since Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'