Himachal Pradesh govt takes over land from Asaram Bapu`s trust
Nahan: In a significant move, the Himachal Pradesh Relief and Rehabilitation Department on Friday took possession of more than 14 bighas of land from a trust of self-styled godman Asaram Bapu at Kunja Matralion village in the Paonta area of Sirmaur district.
Confirming that the trust has been dispossessed of 14.33 bighas of land, Paonta Tehsildar Balbir Garg told a news agency that a team of R and R department led by Naib Tehsildar Ravinder Kanwar have vested the land in Government of India.
The operation to take over the land and property developed on it passed off peacefully and there was no resistance or protest from the godman`s followers, he said.
The property was initially owned by the Government of India and was purchased in an auction by one Jaikishan and Rajinder of Paonta in 1994 and later it was transferred through a gift deed in the name of the trust owned by Asaram Bapu, Garg said.
Meanwhile, the Custodian department reviewed the whole auction and registration process and it was found that the then Naib Tehsildar of Paonta, who had auctioned the land, was not authorised to do so, he said.
Consequently, the transfer of land was rejected and it was again reverted to its original owner, the Government of India, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days