Himachal Pradesh reels under bone-chilling cold
Shimla: Tribal areas in Himachal Pradesh reeled under piercing cold wave on Monday as mercury plummeted to touch lowest temperature at -16.5 degrees in Keylong, seven degree below normal.
The tribal areas froze under biting cold as the mercury stayed between -18 to -28 degrees Celsius in several high altitude parts of the state.
Meanwhile, two more bodies were recovered to take the toll from the avalanche which struck Kinnaur district last night to seven.
Several areas, including the upper Shimla region, remained cut off for the sixth day with vehicular traffic to Rampur and Dhami routed via Basantpur and Kingal while the Manali-Rohtang road was closed.
Power supply too remained interrupted in several parts of the state including Kinnaur, Kullu and Chamba while it was restored in several parts of Shimla town after it remained without electricity for at least 60 hours.
The water supply too remained affected in most areas of Shimla and other higher reaches as water in pipes froze.
Natural sources of water like springs, lakes, rivulets and tributaries were also frozen, causing sharp fall in discharge of water, affecting hydropower generation which has come down to ten percent.
Kalpa in tribal Kinnaur district recorded a low of -13 degrees while key tourist resort of Manali shivered at -6 degrees C.
Saluni, Bhuntar, Solan and Sundernagar and Shimla recorded minimum temperatures at -1.5 degrees, -1.0 degrees, 0.5 degrees, 0.4 degrees and 1.0 degrees respectively, three to six degree below normal.
Maximum temperatures rose marginally to stand at 22.6 degrees at Una, followed by Sundernagar 20.7 degrees, Dharamsala 17.4 degrees, Solan 17.2 degrees, Bhunter 16.5 degrees, Nahan 16.3 degrees and Shimla 11.6 degrees.
The local Met office has predicted dry weather for next 48 hours and rains and snow at isolated places from January 23 onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- 41 years of Emergency: NDA ministers to attend rallies to highlight Congress' 'excesses' in 1975
- Good news! Dimpy Ganguly welcomes baby Reanna with blizzards of kisses and hugs - See pic
- Harmanpreet Kaur Bhullar becomes first India Women's cricketer to be signed by overseas T20 team
- Indian politicians funded Hillary Clinton for Indo-US civil nuclear deal: Donald Trump
- In two years Tripura-Assam border with Bangladesh to be totally sealed: Secretary BM