Himachal Pradesh reels under bone-chilling cold
Shimla: Tribal areas in Himachal Pradesh reeled under piercing cold wave on Monday as mercury plummeted to touch lowest temperature at -16.5 degrees in Keylong, seven degree below normal.
The tribal areas froze under biting cold as the mercury stayed between -18 to -28 degrees Celsius in several high altitude parts of the state.
Meanwhile, two more bodies were recovered to take the toll from the avalanche which struck Kinnaur district last night to seven.
Several areas, including the upper Shimla region, remained cut off for the sixth day with vehicular traffic to Rampur and Dhami routed via Basantpur and Kingal while the Manali-Rohtang road was closed.
Power supply too remained interrupted in several parts of the state including Kinnaur, Kullu and Chamba while it was restored in several parts of Shimla town after it remained without electricity for at least 60 hours.
The water supply too remained affected in most areas of Shimla and other higher reaches as water in pipes froze.
Natural sources of water like springs, lakes, rivulets and tributaries were also frozen, causing sharp fall in discharge of water, affecting hydropower generation which has come down to ten percent.
Kalpa in tribal Kinnaur district recorded a low of -13 degrees while key tourist resort of Manali shivered at -6 degrees C.
Saluni, Bhuntar, Solan and Sundernagar and Shimla recorded minimum temperatures at -1.5 degrees, -1.0 degrees, 0.5 degrees, 0.4 degrees and 1.0 degrees respectively, three to six degree below normal.
Maximum temperatures rose marginally to stand at 22.6 degrees at Una, followed by Sundernagar 20.7 degrees, Dharamsala 17.4 degrees, Solan 17.2 degrees, Bhunter 16.5 degrees, Nahan 16.3 degrees and Shimla 11.6 degrees.
The local Met office has predicted dry weather for next 48 hours and rains and snow at isolated places from January 23 onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez