Himachal Pradesh reels under bone-chilling cold
Shimla: Tribal areas in Himachal Pradesh reeled under piercing cold wave on Monday as mercury plummeted to touch lowest temperature at -16.5 degrees in Keylong, seven degree below normal.
The tribal areas froze under biting cold as the mercury stayed between -18 to -28 degrees Celsius in several high altitude parts of the state.
Meanwhile, two more bodies were recovered to take the toll from the avalanche which struck Kinnaur district last night to seven.
Several areas, including the upper Shimla region, remained cut off for the sixth day with vehicular traffic to Rampur and Dhami routed via Basantpur and Kingal while the Manali-Rohtang road was closed.
Power supply too remained interrupted in several parts of the state including Kinnaur, Kullu and Chamba while it was restored in several parts of Shimla town after it remained without electricity for at least 60 hours.
The water supply too remained affected in most areas of Shimla and other higher reaches as water in pipes froze.
Natural sources of water like springs, lakes, rivulets and tributaries were also frozen, causing sharp fall in discharge of water, affecting hydropower generation which has come down to ten percent.
Kalpa in tribal Kinnaur district recorded a low of -13 degrees while key tourist resort of Manali shivered at -6 degrees C.
Saluni, Bhuntar, Solan and Sundernagar and Shimla recorded minimum temperatures at -1.5 degrees, -1.0 degrees, 0.5 degrees, 0.4 degrees and 1.0 degrees respectively, three to six degree below normal.
Maximum temperatures rose marginally to stand at 22.6 degrees at Una, followed by Sundernagar 20.7 degrees, Dharamsala 17.4 degrees, Solan 17.2 degrees, Bhunter 16.5 degrees, Nahan 16.3 degrees and Shimla 11.6 degrees.
The local Met office has predicted dry weather for next 48 hours and rains and snow at isolated places from January 23 onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch