Himachal Pradesh taxi operators go on strike
Shimla: Taxi operators in Himachal Pradesh went on a three-day strike Monday in protest the proposed hike in commercial taxes by the state government.
Tourists in most of the towns were facing a lot of inconvenience following the strike, Monday morning reports from these places said.
The supply of milk, curd and bread was severely affected in the state capital as the commercial vehicles transporting diary products from neighbouring Punjab have also joined the strike.
The town`s daily consumption of milk is around 50,000 litres, most of which is supplied by Punjab`s milk cooperative Milkfed. Shimla has a population of 1,69,748, according to the 2011 census report.
The government said it was open for talks to resolve the issue.
"The strike is complete as no taxi is plying locally or on long routes," Jeet Ram, a spokesperson for the joint action committee of taxi and cab operators` unions, said here.
He said the government was planning to increase road and commercial taxes by several times, which would affect their business.
Some of the taxi operators have not joined the strike but have kept their vehicles off the road to avoid any clash with the striking taxi operators.
Reports from Manali said most of the taxis in the town were off the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH