Himachal to probe accident that killed 39
Shimla: Blaming gross human negligence behind the bus accident in Himachal Pradesh Wednesday that claimed 39 lives, state Transport Minister GS Bali Friday announced to constitute a four-member probe panel into the incident.
"The probe panel will submit its report within one month," he told reporters here.
Bali said negligent driving probably was the cause of the accident as the driver, who jumped off the bus just before it plunged into the Beas river near Kullu town Wednesday, was talking on his mobile phone.
"We have made it mandatory for annual medical fitness of the drivers of all passenger transport vehicles and drivers found using mobile phones while driving will lose their licence," the minister said.
Bali said passengers have been authorised to stop any driver who is driving rashly or using his mobile phone while driving.
"A few people are missing. The toll could go up further," he added about the accident.
He said bus Driver Anush Kumar has been arrested. "The road condition where the accident occurred was perfect. There was no other reason for the accident except negligent driving," the minister said.
Police records say over 800 people die every year in the state in road accidents.
Police have identified 556 accident-prone spots, including 210 on national highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened