Himachal to probe accident that killed 39
Shimla: Blaming gross human negligence behind the bus accident in Himachal Pradesh Wednesday that claimed 39 lives, state Transport Minister GS Bali Friday announced to constitute a four-member probe panel into the incident.
"The probe panel will submit its report within one month," he told reporters here.
Bali said negligent driving probably was the cause of the accident as the driver, who jumped off the bus just before it plunged into the Beas river near Kullu town Wednesday, was talking on his mobile phone.
"We have made it mandatory for annual medical fitness of the drivers of all passenger transport vehicles and drivers found using mobile phones while driving will lose their licence," the minister said.
Bali said passengers have been authorised to stop any driver who is driving rashly or using his mobile phone while driving.
"A few people are missing. The toll could go up further," he added about the accident.
He said bus Driver Anush Kumar has been arrested. "The road condition where the accident occurred was perfect. There was no other reason for the accident except negligent driving," the minister said.
Police records say over 800 people die every year in the state in road accidents.
Police have identified 556 accident-prone spots, including 210 on national highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi