Himachal to register case in mass phone-tapping
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh government will register a case in the mass tapping of phones during the previous BJP regime in the state, Chief Secretary S. Roy said here Thursday.
"As the phone tapping is a sensitive issue violating right to privacy of an individual, the state government would lodge an FIR (first information report) after thorough investigation," an official statement quoting Roy said.
He said the state Crime Investigation Department (CID) and the vigilance department had tapped certain phone numbers unauthorisedly and illegally during the time of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh last week said the investigation into phone tapping was handed over to the vigilance bureau.
He alleged that even his phones had been tapped and rooms bugged when he was in the opposition.
The total number of phones tapped, mainly of Congress leaders, government functionaries and journalists in violation of the Indian Telegraph Act, was over 1,100, said officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics