Himachal to seek Rs 1,000 crore central assistance for Kinnaur
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh government will seek immediate central assistance of Rs 1,000 crore for relief and restoration work in rain-ravaged Kinnaur district and other affected areas of the state, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh today said.
"We have suffered colossal losses due to incessant heavy rains and flash floods and the road network in Kinnaur district is completely destroyed, but our losses did not get adequate attention due to the devastating floods in Uttarakhand," Singh said while leaving for Delhi to meet the Prime Minister and apprise him about the damage and devastation.
As per preliminary reports, losses in Kinnaur district alone are to the tune of Rs 2,250 crore and normal life has been completely paralysed as road network is non-existent at many places. It will take time to restore normalcy and also require massive investment, he said.
Large number of people are stranded in the district and though two IAF choppers and the lone state helicopter were initially pressed into service, later on the state chopper was placed at the disposal of Election commission for the Mandi Lok Sabha bye-elections, Singh said.
"We would ask for more IAF choppers for ferrying local people as roads are blocked across the district due to massive landslides triggered by rains," he said.
Referring to lodging an FIR in the phone tapping case, the Chief Minister said approval for the FIR has not so been given but one thing was clear that phone tapping of politicians, bureaucrats, media persons and others could not have been possible without involvement of higher-ups.
"The matter is being thoroughly inquired into and anyone found guilty of indulging in illegal tapping and intruding into privacy of individuals would not be spared," he asserted.
Singh also scoffed off rumours about his failing health and said it was a malicious campaign by his detractors.
"I am fine and neither going abroad for treatment, nor asked to retire and would continue to serve the people of Himachal," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest