Himachal town gets highest precipitation in 15 years
Shimla: The picturesque town Kalpa in Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh, where incessant heavy rain wreaked havoc, Monday recorded the highest precipitation on a single day in the past 15 years, an official said here.
In the last 24 hours, Kalpa, some 275 km from state capital Shimla, recorded 202 mm of rain till 8.30 a.m.
"This is the highest ever precipitation on a single day of this month. Last time the town got the highest rain of 73 mm in 1998," India Meteorological Department (IMD) director Manmohan Singh told IANS.
He said the entire Kinnaur on an average receives three to four mm rain in June.
Paonta Sahib town in Sirmaur district, adjoining Uttarakhand state, which was badly hit by heavy rains Monday, recorded the highest amount - 405 mm - in the state.
Likewise, Nahan town in the district saw 97 mm rain.
Singh said Kinnaur, Sirmaur and Shimla districts were badly hit by the rains in the state in the past two days.
According to him, heavy rain will occur at many places in these three districts over the next 24 hours, and decrease thereafter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan